Growing up in our community, I participated in sports, worked in agriculture as well as the family business, and attended school - all of which made a profound impact on me. So much so, that when the next chapter of my life as an adult began, I chose to remain in the Skagit Valley. I'm not just proud of the area I grew up; I'm happy to call this special place home today.
From a young age, community service and a strong work ethic were instilled in me by my parents. I remember door-belling with my mother and brother for a school bond as young as 10 years old. There are service projects from my days in scouting that still exist today. Giving back to the community that has given my family so much is truly an honor.
My experiences and education have shaped my core values:
- Show my family that I love them each and every day
- Service above self
- Leave things better than I found it
- Find joy in lifelong learning and grow as a person
- Lead by example with integrity
These are not just words in cyberspace but rather a reflection of who I truly am and how I live my life. Long after this election is over my core values and character will remain.
After nearly four years in county government and working side-by-side with the Auditor's Office, I realized that my skill-set is ideal to bring growth, improvement, and help unlock the potential of the office to better serve our community. Although I would have made a good Treasurer, I assure you that I will make an outstanding Auditor.
- Washington State University (Master of Business Administration - Finance)
- Washington State University (Bachelor of Arts, Cum Laude – Major: Accounting)
- Skagit Valley College
- Mount Vernon High School
- Assistant Treasurer & Investment Officer: Skagit County (2014 – Current)
- Accountant: Oostra Rouw & Associates (2011 - 2014)
- Owner/Manager: Consumer Rental Center Inc. (1993 – 2012)
- Enrolled Agent: Department of the Treasury
- Mount Vernon City Council (2008 - 2015)
- Mayor Pro Tem
- Finance Committee Chair
- Public Works Committee Chair
- Skagit Fire District #3 Commissioner (2000 – 2002)
- Skagit Rotary Club (Past President, Auction Chair, Foundation Treasurer, Director of Community Service, Scholarship Committee, Rotarian of the Year, Paul Harris Fellow Award)
- Skagit Valley Hospital Foundation (Trustee)
- Skagit Valley YMCA (Board of Directors)
- Mount Vernon Schools Foundation (Past President - twice, Founding Member)
- Mount Vernon Planning Commission
- Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
- Eagle Scout
Meet my Family
These are the people who support me while I'm working for you:
Jenna owns The Sign Department - an advertising and sign company. These high school sweethearts have been married since 1994.
Elizabeth is a sophomore at the University of Washington. Along with being a student, Elizabeth works at the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network and is a member of the NASA Space Grant Consortium.
Matthew is a junior in the Autism Program at Mount Vernon High School. His favorite activities are swimming at the Skagit Valley YMCA and playing outdoors.